The Tom Oakland Outstanding International Scholar Award is offered annually by the International School Psychology Association (ISPA) to an ISPA member who has demonstrated exemplary scholarship contributing to international school psychology that merits special recognition.
Persons eligible for this award are fully paid members and exhibit scholarly activity and contributions that have significantly nourished school psychology internationally as a discipline and profession. This will include one or more of the following characteristics:
– Demonstration of systematic and imaginative use of psychological theory and research in furthering the development of professional practice.
– Or evidence of important scientific contributions and seminal studies on important research questions that bear on the quality of school psychological training internationally.
Continuing scholarship and contributions, rather than a single publication, is the primary consideration in making the award. While a specific scholarly work may be salient in the evaluation of a nominee, it is not likely that a single work will be of such exceptional character that it would be the basis of the award. Similarly, numerous journal articles, chapters, books, paper presentations, workshops, leadership, etc., will not by themselves be a sufficient basis for the award. Award recipients will be selected by a sub-committee of the ISPA Research Committee. Their names will then be forwarded to the full EC for approval. The nominee must be a Member of the International School Psychology Association.
Nomination materials must include;
– A 2-page nomination letter highlighting the nominee’s unique scholarly contributions to international school psychology.
– The nominee’s curriculum vitae.
– Three letters of support for the nominee.
– Electronic copies of 5 publications that best represent the international scholarship of the nominee.
Nominations together with appropriate documentation should be sent electronically to ISPA Central Office and copied to the Chair of the Research Committee. The closing date for nominations is April 9, 2021 of the year the award would be presented.